Friday, August 14, 2015

College ≠ Ultimate Knowledge


Tip: Tall buildings look far more impressive when photographed from a low angle.

Ever since my senior year of high school, people have been asking me if I have plans of going to college. Back in 2013, I visited the beautiful Providence Christian College (pictured above) and nearly became a student. In the end, I decided to put further education on hold until I have a definite goal in mind that would be worth spending thousands of dollars to pursue.

Some people tell me that I should go to college so that I can figure out what to do with the remainder of my life. Considering the amount of time and money that would entail, I've been reluctant to take the gamble. Thankfully, college is not the only (nor most important) place to gain knowledge. The book of Proverbs states that "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge" (Proverbs 1:7a).

Where can we gain the fear of the Lord? In the Bible! That's right; no $100 text books, no $15,000+ tuition fees, and you aren't charged several hundred dollars per credit. In fact, now that we are in the digital age, you don't even have to pay to obtain a copy of the Bible. We simply need to invest our time into learning the words of wisdom that God has left for us. We can learn Who He is, know who we are (and what our place is to be), and be encouraged knowing that wherever we go, everything will turn out according to His plan.

College or not, life will never be entirely clear to us. Living in a fallen world will not always be easy, no matter our education. What we can count on, however, is that in the end, God will bless those of us who value and apply the knowledge of Him in our lives.

"Blessed is the one who finds wisdom,
and the one who gets understanding,
for the gain from her is better than
gain from silver and her profit better than gold."
  

(Proverbs 3:13-14)

No comments:

Post a Comment