Saturday, October 7, 2017

A Biblical Lesson in Modern Art



Last night I was at an art walk. One of the exhibits was a small room with a single window. Inside of this room, the artist had hung fluffy black fabric everywhere. From the walls, the ceiling, creeping in through the door. It obstructed the light coming in through the window and gave the room a very eerie feeling. 

As I stood there taking it all in, it hit me: this is an unfortunately perfect picture of life sometimes. We allow all sorts of things to take over our lives and eventually they choke out our view of Christ and his influence in us. Some things may be perfectly fine, other things may not be. Everything has the potential to obscure our perspective if we aren't continually refocusing and choosing to make God a priority in our thoughts.

Honestly, that is why this blog is a day late this week: I was lacking inspiration because I had been failing to look for it. I let all sorts of little things pile up over the week that took my mind away from seeing God's work and wisdom. You've probably experienced (or possibly are experiencing) something similar. It's easy to let distraction take over. Let's clear our minds and reset our focus this week, shall we?

How can a young man keep his way pure?
    By guarding it according to your word.
10 
With my whole heart I seek you;
    let me not wander from your commandments!
11 
I have stored up your word in my heart,
    that I might not sin against you.
12 
Blessed are you, O Lord;
    teach me your statutes!
13 
With my lips I declare
    all the rules of your mouth.
14 
In the way of your testimonies I delight
    as much as in all riches.
15 
I will meditate on your precepts
    and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 
I will delight in your statutes;
    I will not forget your word.

- Psalm 119:9-16


No comments:

Post a Comment