Friday, July 10, 2015

My Rainbow Pride

Tip: Sometimes all you have is a a low quality camera on your mobile device. It's a bummer, but make the most of the situation! Good color and scene composition are the key factors in all photos.

Rainbows are gorgeous. Every time one shows up, people are often compelled to photograph it. They are a rare treat- until you log onto social media. The last few weeks in particular, the rainbow has been quite prevalent all across the news and internet. Sadly, despite it's current popularity, most people either do not know or have forgotten the meaning behind it. So, now seems like a good time for a little review, courtesy of Genesis 9:12-16:
 

And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.”

Every time you see a rainbow- whether in the sky, on a flag, in a protest, or anywhere else- remember: it is the sign of God's covenant with us. Every time you see a rainbow, thank God that you are still alive to see it. It is only by His mercy that you have lived another day. With mercy like that, shouldn't we use the time gifted to us to learn more about our Creator and strive to make our lives signs of our thankfulness to Him?

For those of you who may not know the back-story, or who don't recall exactly how it went, this bit of history begins in Genesis 6. Verses 5-8 of this passage chronicle the events leading up to the aforementioned flood:

"The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. So the Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.” But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord."

So, there is a little taste to get you going. If you do not know the full history, I suggest you go look up and read Genesis, chapters 6 through 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment