Friday, October 23, 2015

The Search


Tip: When taking a silhouette, consider turning up the color contrast and putting the photo in black and white; this adds more emphasis to your subject, giving the image a greater impact.

As a photographer, I am always looking for a great scene to shoot. When I have my camera in hand, I look at the world with a new intensity. If I really want to take a noteworthy photo, I don't just wander along hoping something will pop out at me- I look and I plan. What angle should I take this scene from? Is there something little along the trail that the average person will not notice? Will this photograph convey an emotion? Generally, to find something, you must first be looking for it.

The same can be said of biblical wisdom; it's possible that we can just happen upon a great lesson, but as a general rule, we must first seek if we are to find. What's more is that we should seek wisdom with an even greater intensity than a photographer seeks a good shot at a scene, because obtaining the type of wisdom that God commands us to search for is a matter of life and death:

"Blessed is the one who listens to me,
watching daily at my gates,
waiting beside my doors.
For whoever finds me finds life
and obtains favor from the Lord,
but he who fails to find me injures himself;
all who hate me love death."
- Proverbs 8:34-36

Searching for wisdom, like searching for the perfect scene to photograph, will take time and diligence. We likely will have to read some of the same Bible passages a few times over, but with prayer, persistence, and a genuine desire to learn, we can gain the type of wisdom God commands us to obtain in order to grow in our walk with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment