Friday, May 20, 2016

Be Challenged

Tip: Try looking at things from a new perspective in your photos. Low angles or bird's-eye views can make a mundane scene much more eye catching.


My family gets together and reads a brief devotional every night before my parents go to bed. In most situations, it ends in nods of agreement and "yup" or "that was a good one." but no further discussion is often made. Last night, however, was a little different. The devotional we read dealt with a belief that we and the author do not see eye to eye on.  As a result, we had a really great discussion, recalled a collection of scriptures we had each learned over time, and while I cannot speak for the others, I know that I gained a lot more from it than I do on the average night; it is the next morning and I still remember a lot of what both we and the devotional said. The fact that we all became engaged in examining the topic made it all much more memorable.

While I wouldn't suggest spending all of your time intentionally reading over things you disagree with (unless you have a specific purpose for it), I believe it is healthy every once in a while to be faced with an opposing view point or a different perspective. It forces us to slow down, to think, and to actually give Biblical reasons why we believe what we do.

In this world, we will have no shortage of opposition; my challenge to you is this: don't run from those who you disagree with. Allow yourself to be challenged, test everything against scripture, and in so doing, your knowledge and faith will grow.


"Test everything; hold fast to what is good." - 1 Thessalonians 5:21

No comments:

Post a Comment