Friday, May 6, 2016

Leaving Luxuries


Tip: Always keep an eye out for unusual and humorous subjects.


I was incredibly amused at the irony that sat before me at work a few days ago. Luxury Magazine, bookmarked with a used napkin. 

The more I think about it, the more appropriate it feels. We have so many luxuries nowadays (the internet you are using to read this is even one!), yet where are these luxuries going? What good will they do us in the long run? Someday, you will reach a point where none of it matters anymore. Those lovely things you enjoy will have as much significance in your life as the napkin tucked inside that magazine - or even less. 

In Luke 12:15-21, Jesus has something to say about the way we regard our material possessions; "...“Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, and he thought to himself, ‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’ And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’ But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be? So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.' "

Let us be people who are always striving to collect eternal treasures from God's word over the fleeting treasures of this world, which hold so little lasting value.

No comments:

Post a Comment