Friday, May 13, 2016

Traveling Aimlessly

Tip: Be on the lookout for storm clouds; they create the best lighting for dramatic landscapes and portraits.


For a long time, I had difficulty getting into studying the Bible; it's not that I didn't want to, but I had a hard time focusing. What was the deal? I had the whole Bible at my fingertips but no idea what to read. When I simply read a chapter a day straight through it felt like it went in one ear and out the other, and while randomly opening a passage of choosing a book did turn up good lessons sometimes, I still didn't always feel that "into" what I was reading. Turns out what I really needed was some purpose and direction to get me going.

Matthew 7:7-8 states, "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened" The question I present to you today is this: how do you ask for something or seek it if you do not know what you are looking for?

Think of a biblical topic. You know it, you know that it is in the Bible, you might even know where in the Bible... But have you ever really stopped to research it for yourself? Or do you only know it secondhand? I challenge you to try this in your study: research the truths that you hold dear. Make notes of the passages that talk about them, even write out summaries alongside the verses if it helps you focus. Know that which you seek, and seek it diligently. Good vacations don't often happen by wandering aimlessly; nor do good Bible studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment